We offer a wide variety of recycling solutions for our customers, including ink and toner, electronics and rechargeable batteries
- Over the past six years Staples Business Advantage has collected an average of 220,000 empty ink/toner cartridges per year
- Launched in May of 2012, our electronics and battery take-back program received over 18,000 kg’s of product from our Staples Business Advantage customers alone
- Staples Canada partners with Call2Recycle and Ecycle Solutions to collect and recycle batteries (rechargeable and alkaline). Successful efforts diverted almost 50,000 kg’s of batteries from landfills in 2012
- At Staples Business Advantage we make every attempt to divert waste from the landfill. Our Associates play a vital role in separating the by-products from our daily operations. Currently, we sort the end of our use materials into 13 different streams:
|Shrink Wrap||Organic Material|
Staples is one of the world’s largest ink recyclers, having recycled more than 110 million ink and toner cartridges in a 24 month period. We’re committed to the highest level of sustainability by recycling or reusing 100% of a cartridge’s components – the plastics in many end-of-life cartridges are reused to make other products, including items like office trays, pen and paper holders, and even Sustainable Earth by Staples™ calculator casings.
Through our driver pick-up program, we make it easy to recycle your empty ink and toner cartridges. We provide pallet pick-up programs for large returns and prepaid mailing labels for customers without driver service – and we will recycle any brand of ink and toner. Here’s the best part: it’s all provided free of charge so that doing the right thing is even easier.
Cartridges that cannot be reused are recycled to create new products. The process is as follows:
- Spent cartridges are collected for recycling
- Carriers deliver used cartridges to collection center
- Cartridges evaluated for recycling or reusing
- Cartridges are recycled to extract components and raw material to be used in manufacturing new products or are sorted through ISO 9001 inspection process, remanufactured, tested and packaged for reuse.
Use our mailing label to send us your empty ink and toner cartridges for recycling, free of charge.
If you have 50 or more cartridges to send back at one time, we also offer full pallet pick up for customers. To arrange a bulk pick up email email@example.com
We’ll recycle your ink, batteries, and electronics. Our Tech Recycling Program is an eco-preferable plan that fits your schedule. Just give your recyclables to your driver at your next delivery. We accept ink and toner cartridges, computers and monitors, * desktop printers, batteries, computer peripherals and office machines.
Drivers can accept up to three units at a time, after which eCycle Solutions is available to pick up any surplus or bulky items. Staples currently offers this service through most of Ontario, British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Nova Scotia and Quebec.
Recycling Waiver Form
Please click here for the recycling waiver form, which must be completed and presented to your driver if you have requested customer recycling pickup by us.
*Limit three computers and three monitors per pickup.
Knowing that reducing our waste would make enough of an impact on the environment and the bottom line Staples Business Advantage piloted a program at our head office, eliminating the usual garbage cans at all workstations and replacing them with a much smaller waste bin that holds approximately 2 cups of waste. This would encourage people to not only produce less waste, but also recycle.
With the help of our passionate Sustainability Team associates, the project rolled out during Waste Reduction Week. We provided bins in the break rooms that would allow for a central area to segregate recyclables, organics, and general waste. The Sustainability Team also posted information on the types of acceptable items that are allowed in the different bins. Lastly, we took away all existing workstation garbage bins and introduced the significantly smaller replacement.
At Staples Business Advantage we continuously monitor our waste stream through regular waste audits. We acknowledged that there was an increase in K Cups entering our waste stream. We have committed to recycling and upcycling the discarded K Cups from all of our facilities. Staples Business Advantage now has TerraCycle® Coffee Capsules Zero Waste Boxes at each facility across the country. Terracycle converts the waste from K Cups and Tassimo pods and upcycles the plastic into useful products such as plastic lumber used in landscaping. The coffee organics is then used at local farms to enrich the earth. We are on track to divert over 3000 lbs out of our landfills.